|Photo: William Dickey; Styling Rose Nguyen|
Fruits that are in season in the late winter months include primarily citrus fruits and dates. I've combined that most basic ingredients that you can keep in your pantry and have on hand when the need arises for some flavor in your salad. Follow the recipe below for a citrus packed dressing with a hint of honey for a great boost of ginger for your immune system.
Asian Orange Ginger Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar (unseasoned or seasoned is best)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp orange zest
- juice from 1/2 large orange (or other citrus fruit)
- 1 tsp grated ginger (you don't need to peel unless brown skin is thick or dry)
- 1/4 cup oil (olive oil is strong in flavor but try grapeseed or rice oil for a lighter flavor)
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Whisk the ingredients together.
2) Layer over fresh veggies or a salad.
Salad idea pictured above: Layer mixed salad greens with sesame crisps, grilled chicken, and fresh mandarin oranges and then top with your homemade salad dressing!