Apple Ring Pancakes (taken from Family Fun Sept 2014 edition)
2 large apples (cored and thinly sliced)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
7 ½ tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup flour (coconut or almond meal can be used instead of white or wheat flour)
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp butter (melted)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
½ tsp lemon zest
- Toss apple slices in lemon juice and then sprinkle with 3 tsp sugar and ½ tsp cinnamon.
- Whisk remaining sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, flour, and salt.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients in separate bowl and add flour mixture.
- Assemble “pancake” by spooning batter over apple slice and letting remainder drop back into bowl.
- Place into buttered pan and cook “pancakes” 5 minutes per side.