Sunday, May 19, 2019

No One Noticed the Gravy was Gluten Free: Biscuits and Gravy

Who doesn't love biscuits and gravy? Well I do and I miss it terribly so I decided to embark upon a journey to find the perfect gluten free biscuits (still searching in fact) and gravy (DISCOVERED!). I don't have all the gluten free staples in my house but typically can use alternatives to find a way to make recipes work. The recipe for the gravy called for xantham gum which I didn't have so I experimented (Yes I am a culinary scientist when I need to be) with a combination of coconut flour and arrowroot powder to thicken the gravy. It worked so well in fact that no one noticed the gravy was gluten free and I was asked to make this again when we go camping. SCORE one for Momma!

As I mentioned I am still looking for the perfect recipe for gluten free biscuits to pair with this lovely gravy however the recipe I used left much to be desired. I found a recipe for gluten free coconut flour cheddar biscuits but they were gritty and mealy and tasted like more like egg than cheddar. Not impressed but if you are a culinary scientist I'll include the recipe below for future experiments. I will note these could probably be turned into the Red Lobster style biscuits with garlic and butter and improvements on the bread-like consistency.
Gluten Free Cheddar Biscuits
1/4 cup melted butter
4 eggs
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix together and drop spoonfuls on baking sheet. Bake 14 minutes in oven preheated to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
And now for the piece-de-resistance. the gluten free gravy! I will note that I used homemade chicken broth which is impossibly simple if you make a whole chicken in the insta-pot the night before like I did. I put the bones with any leftover meat and skin into a stockpot and cover with water and boiled for about an hour. Voila broth and if you're really adventurous keep boiling for 4-24 hours to make bone broth (you will have to add more water to cover the bones multiple times).
Gluten Free Sausage Gravy
1 lb ground sausage
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
3 tsp arrowroot powder
3 tsp coconut flour
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp onion powder (or 1/4 chopped onion)
salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage with thyme, onion powder (or onion), and salt and pepper over medium high heat. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. In a separate bowl or cup mix the heavy cream, 1 tsp arrowroot powder, and 1 tsp coconut flour and whisk until thick. Add the cream mixture slowly into the sausage broth and stir. Wait until it begins bubbling and then add an additional 1 tsp arrowroot and 1 tsp coconut flour. Stir and make sure it keeps bubbling and then add the last 1 tsp arrowroot and 1 tsp coconut flour and continue to boil until it thickens. If you are having a hard time getting it to thicken you can add an additional tsp of the arrowroot and coconut flour but I found the 3 tsp of each worked very well for me.

Now the rest of my family is not gluten free so I made regular biscuits for them because I haven't found a recipe that is delicious and because you really can't fool people with gluten free biscuits (at least I haven't been able to yet since I am still searching for the gluten free biscuits of my dreams). So serve the gravy over the biscuits of your choice (I have been told Aldi's carries a gluten free baking mix that can be used exactly like a Bisquick mix but I have not experimented with this yet).



No comments:

Post a Comment