Saturday, September 1, 2012

Paleo Diet Update

So I just wanted to send out a quick update on how my 30 Day Paleo Diet challenge went since it is now September 1st. Unfortunately (and somewhat thankfully) I do not have before and after pictures, however I can tell you that I've lost a total of 20 pounds just by changing my diet and no I did not add in an exercise program or additional activities or even go on a vacation to avoid stress over the past 30 days. I did this challenge while working 60-70 hrs per week with a family to take care of and the stress of everyday life to deal with. My 2 year old has definitely not slowed down a bit throughout the month and her birthday party along with the 25+ guests from out of town did not lower stress levels at all. In addition I am proud to say that I have lost a few inches off my waist. I didn't do measurements beforehand but I know that most of my pants are very loose or falling off and my belt no longer fits due to the fact that it is on the last hole and still not small enough to keep my pants up!

All I did was stick to a diet rich in protein 3-4 times a day and full of fresh fruits and vegetables. I admit I did cheat a few times and I did enjoy cake and ice cream at my daughter's birthday party but for the most part I stuck to a 90/10 or better diet where 90% of the time I ate Paleo and the other 10% I enjoyed some non Paleo items like coffee, processed sugars, pizza, tacos, and other things. The first 2 weeks were the worst due to the fact that my blood sugar had to level out and my body had to get used to regulating insulin levels better. I found that if I didn't eat every few hours with some protein containing snack like peanut butter and celery during that first two weeks I got headaches due to low blood sugar. It was definitely NOT pleasant, but I can tell you that 30 days was totally worth it for the changes I've seen!!

Overall I have had many changes and noticed quite a few differences in how my body is functioning. I have felt a huge difference in my energy levels and awake feeling much more refreshed and well rested. I am able to concentrate and focus on tasks and projects during the day much better. I have also noticed a huge change in my mood and have found that not only have I been happier and smiling more, but PMS symptoms have decreased, I'm less irritable (this goes for child mishaps, family disputes, and even my pet peeves), and my skin has also been much clearer. In addition, I've found that I'm snacking less and actually feeling hungry when I need to eat rather than before when I never really felt hungry and snacked frequently throughout the day. My husband, friends, coworkers, and even my patients have noticed a difference and even commented on it to me as well. (Boy does that feel great!)

I am planning on sticking to a Paleo dominant diet (again aiming for the 90/10 rule) for the month of September and will be actively exercising with aerobic and weight lifting exercise in the month of September to see how big of a difference both this diet and exercise can make for me. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment