Tuesday, August 27, 2013

DIY Natural Bug and Mosquito Repellant for Family and Yard

That's right ladies and gentlemen. As a parent and a doctor, I am SICK of spraying my child and my home with chemicals that can cause permanent neurological, developmental, and reproductive harm to my family. I am sick of reading the research that is showing the dangers of traditional pesticides, herbicides, and chemicals that are used in everyday cleaning products. I am scared for my child and for other Peoria families based on the newest chemical additives that Peoria has begun to add into our water supply to counteract the current chemicals, pesticides, and even prescription drugs that are already lurking in our drinking glass.

Are you scared? If you aren't you SHOULD BE. As a parent, I am mandating that my household begin to use natural products for cleaning, de-pesting, and de-bugging our family home and our bodies. We've been switching gradually over the past 6 months but after looking over some new research on permanent childhood developmental issues that were caused by adverse reactions to household chemical products, I've made up my mind. I'm PISSED and I'm going ALL NATURAL!

Here's two great recipes for bug repellant that we are using to keep the gnats, flies, and mosquitos at bay in our new backyard and one to soothe mosquito bites for children that weren't covered completely and to repel them in the future. (By the way we moved into our new home last week and threw Camryn's party this weekend, introducing these debut recipes to our family members and friends as NATURAL options for bug repellant.)

Lavendar Vanilla Bug Spray
seemed to work well on gnats and flys but not so much on mosquitos

10 drops of Lavendar essential oil (purchased at Naturally Yours for under $5)
10 drops of Tea Tree Oil (purchased at Naturally Yours for under $10)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 16oz spray bottle (filled the rest of the way with water)

Lemon Eucalyptus and Citronella Bug Spray
worked great on children, pets, and around the deck and yard

10 drops of Lemon Eucalyptus essential oil (purchased at Naturally Yours for under $5)
10 drops of Citronella essential oil (purchased at Naturally Yours for under $5)
1 16oz spray bottle (filled the rest of the way with water)

Soothing Bath Water 
Add the following to bath water to soothe sores/cuts and help to repel bugs for future outdoor exposure:
5 drops of Lavender or Peppermint essential oil
5 drops of Tea Tree Oil

Another great tip is to cut out floral or sweet smelling shampoo/conditioner or body wash for the whole family to cut down on attracting bugs. I switched to an all natural tea tree oil shampoo/conditioner and tea tree oil liquid castile soap purchased from Naturally Yours for my daughter and myself to help repel those little blood suckers too!

No comments:

Post a Comment